Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Email: Email Me
John ‘Jack’ E. McElligott, Jr. practices in the area of civil and commercial litigation. Mr. McElligott has extensive experience in the fields of products liability, professional liability, the defense of the railroad industry, insurance coverage disputes, and maritime related litigation. Mr. McElligott is a member of the American Bar Association Section of Torts and Products Liability, the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, the International Association of Defense Counsel, the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, the Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, and the American Board of Trial Advocates.
Mr. McElligott was chosen for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America in 2005 and in Louisiana Super Lawyers in 2008.
Mr. McElligott was born in Lafayette, Louisiana in 1954 and admitted to Louisiana State Bar in 1979. He received his undergraduate degree (1976), and law degree (1979), from Louisiana State University.
Mr. McElligott has served in the House of Delegates for the State Bar Association and was President of the Lafayette Parish Bar Association for 1989-1990.
Active in civic matters, Mr. McElligott has served as Chairman of the Lafayette Recreation Commission, on the Board of St. Thomas More Foundation, and is active in the United Way of Acadiana and the University of Louisiana-Lafayette Foundation.
Areas of Practice
- Class Action Litigation
- Insurance Defense
- International Law
- Professional Liability Defense
- Transportation and Utilities
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Louisiana, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1979
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1979
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1979
- Louisiana State University Law Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- J.D. – 1979
- Louisiana State University
- B.A. – 1976
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, 2005
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Section of Torts and Products Liability, Member
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, Member
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- State Bar Association, House of Delegates
- Lafayette Parish Bar Association, President, 1989 – 1990
- St. Thomas More Foundation, Board
- United Way of Acadiana
- University of Louisiana-Lafayette Foundation
- International Society of Barristers
- MDL Trial Team in the Actos Litigation, Member
- Habitat for Humanity, Board of Directors